Easy to make and deliciously different, this lively pineapple and tomato salsa can be served as an accompaniment to a Southwestern-style meal (to top vegan quesadillas and the like), or as a snack served with stone-ground tortilla chips. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky. Recipe ad apted from Vegan Express .
Pineapple and Tomato Salsa
Makes: about 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup very finely chopped fresh pineapple or well drained canned crushed pineapple
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 1–2 fresh hot chili peppers, seeded and minced (to taste), or one (4 oz) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1–2 tbsp lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- 1–2 scallions, very thinly sliced
- Combine all the ingredients in a small serving container and stir together.
- Alternatively, you can leave the ingredients in larger chunks and prepare in a food processor; simply plus on and off until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Let stand for a few minutes or longer to allow the flavors to marry. Serve as suggested in the headnote.
Per ¼-cup serving: 23 calories; 0g of fat; 0g of protein; 6g of carbs; 1g of fiber; 5mg of sodium
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.