This vegan hot bean dip so simple it barely qualifies as a recipe. But it's so tasty that it hardly matters. Serve with plenty of good-quality tortilla chips. Or scoop some of the hot dip into a thermos to pack as an offbeat lunch for school or office; pack the tortilla chips separately. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Easiest Hot Bean Dip
- 1 cup regular or spicy organic refried beans check the label to make sure they're vegan — about half of a 15- to 16-ounce can
- 1 cup salsa use your favorite variety
- 1 to 2 scallions thinly sliced, optional
- ⅔ cup grated vegan cheese such as Daiya, any flavor
- Tortilla chips for serving
Combine the beans and salsa in a small saucepan. If the beans are too thick and clumpy, add a little water to loosen, but let the mixture remain thick. Heat until hot and bubbly.
Transfer half the bean mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with half of the optional scallions and half of the cheese.
Pour in the rest of bean mixture and pat in evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining optional scallions and the remaining cheese.
Microwave briefly if you’d like the cheese to be more melted. Place in the center of a platter and surround with tortilla chips.