Brown rice is fine for a quick dinner, but the lovely color of black rice will make this dish extra special. Tempeh or baked tofu and peanuts add plenty of protein, and using a frozen Asian vegetable blend makes this super-quick as a weeknight meal. Recipe from The Oldways 4-Week Vegetarian & Vegan Diet Menu Plan , © 2014. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Asian Peanut Stir-Fry with Black Rice
- 1 tablespoon peanut or other high-heat vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16- ounce package frozen Asian vegetable blend thawed
- 8- ounce package tempeh or baked tofu cubed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste or sriracha sauce more or less to taste
- ⅓ cup peanuts chopped
- 2 to 2 ½ cups cooked black forbidden or Japonica rice cooked according to package instructions
Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 8 minutes.
Add the vegetable blend, tempeh, and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender but still crisp.
Stir in the soy sauce, curry paste, and peanuts and heat through.
Stir in the rice and serve hot.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.